Wednesday, January 21, 2009

the worst post office trip EVER

Okay, I went to the post office today and it was officially the worst experience of my life as a mom. I'm actually pretty sure that I'd be banned from this particular post office if they could do that sort of thing. Here's how it went.....

Thinking to myself: "I'll just carry Haylee & the packages and let Grace walk. I don't need to put them in the stroller." (big mistake)

We get into the post office and the line is forever long. Oh well. We'll just wait.

Grace runs over to the card rack and starts throwing cards everywhere. The lady in front of me turns and says, "Do you see your child?" (in a VERY sarcastic tone) and I just look at her and go pick up all the cards, drag a screaming Grace back in line with me, and pull Haylee and the packages back into my arms.

Grace is screaming and finally wiggles her way out of my hand hold. She goes over to the magazine rack and starts pulling magazines onto the floor. (Haylee is now crying because she wants to crawl around on the nasy post office floor and I won't let her.) I go over to pick up the magazines and pull Grace back in line with me. But, oh wait!!! In the mean time, the three people behind me decide to move up and not give me my place in line back!!!!! A man looks at me and says, "Sorry, but you moved out of line."

So we go to the back of the line.

I now have 2 screaming kids and 3 packages that I still need to mail.

As we wait in line, Grace calms down and I let go of her hand. She walks over to where they have the Christmas wrapping paper on display (isn't it almost February? Just checking...) and pulls a tube of wrapping paper out. As she turns around with this long tube, she knocks over a display of stuffed animals dressed as postal workers (who would buy that??). Holy cow! Really?!?!?!

At this point, I'm to the front of the line. I say outloud, but to myself, "I'll pick up all of the stupid stuffed animals after I mail the packages."

By the way, there are probably 12 people in the post office and not one of them has offered any help. In fact, they are all glaring at me and my children.

So, the potal worker says to me, "I don't like that your daughter knocked the stuffed animals on the floor." I say, "Sorry. I'll pick them up as soon as I'm done here with these packages." He glares at me and walks out from behind the counter, picks up all the dumb postal teddy bears, comes back and gives me another glare.

I ignore his glare and say, 'Thanks for doing that, That really helped me out."
He says,"I wasn't trying to help you out. I didn't want the stuffed animals on the ground"
How nice.

Haylee is still screaming to get down on the nasty floor.

My total comes to $9. I pull out my debit card to pay. The postal worker tells me there is a $10 limit to be able to use a card. Really??? I say to him, "Really? I can't use my card? But my total is $9." He answers back to me and says, "Well, $9 isn't $10, is it?"

I buy a book of stamps to make the total over $10 and I hear the woman behind me say to her husband, "She really should have better control over her children." I turn around and say, "You're right. I should. But wouldn't it be nice for someone like you to help when you can obviously see help is needed?"

As we leave, I'm having to preactically drag Grace out by the arm screaming and a woman stops me and says, "You really should not treat your child like that."

So, here's to you Australia Post. Cheers.

10 comments:

Melissa and Justin said...

Oh wow. I have had some days (on a much smaller scale) like that. Perfectly IDIOTIC strangers tell you the dumbest bits of "advice."
I feel your pain. It is the worst feeling when someone tells you how to be a mom and doesn't give you any slack.
I had an experience once where this lady (stranger) basically followed me around telling me all the things I was doing wrong with Kate....."her feet are probably cold." (Thanks..do you want me to quickly knit some?, because she just pooped all over the pair I had on her when she came in.) I cried when I left the building.
Maybe I'll have to blog about that day to make you feel better.
Dumb strangers!

Challburg said...

ohhhhhh, so sorry! Just remember that some day, in the very far future you will be able to look back at that day and laugh. We all have crazy days and I don't think that anyone ever has a pleasant "post office" experience. Sorry about the bad day, I still love you!

janelle stubbs said...

holy cow mandy. i am so sorry. and i thought all this time that aussies were nice. well i guess the few i met were, but then we didn't go to a post office while i was there. good for you for saying something to the people around you. i don't think i would have had the guts to do that, but i would definitely have wanted to! people need a little slap in the face with words when they see a young mom needing help! what losers. the post office crowd. not you. :)

janelle stubbs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TheoMama said...

Mandy, you are the best mom ever. Those people are dumb. My kids are always crazy at the post office. Always. Doesn't it feel better to blog about days like that though?

Jen S said...

that can't be real. surely that's from a movie. man!!! some people!! i can't believe ppl can be so cruel and then think you're the one with the problem!! that's the worst PO story i've ever heard. :(

Mariel said...

Mandy! It's so fun to see you again! I was wondering where the heck you were. I have managed to find so many old buddies online...except you! Luckily, Natalie and I stumbled onto each other. That's crazy you are in Austrailia. I would love to hear more about that. Are you there for good or temporarily? Your little girls are so cute. I'm pretty much in shock about your post office experience. I can't believe that SO many people were that rude! Is it an Austrailia thing?? Usually, I will come across random rude people, but never so many. That would have made me so mad! But, you look great...I'm excited to be able to check in on you!

Gwen said...

Yeah, that sounds awful. My sister-in-law had a similar sort of experience on an international flight with her daughter. First off, her daughter screamed the entire time so people were upset with her. When she went to baggage claim to pick up her bags and go after the flight, her suitcase had popped open and all of her things were scattered along the carousel (garments, personal items, baby stuff, etc.). It was a nightmare!
You're a great mom, I hope you can meet some people that are willing to help out next time!

Julie said...

Wow! I'm so sorry you had to go through such a horrible experience! But good for you for sticking up and saying something to those rude people! I probably would have gone to my car and cried. :)

La Belle Belge said...

Mandy, just know that I feel your pain... and I truly mean it. We have a few funny(wanted to cry for me) stories-- I should blog about-- since we arrived in Switzerland... The area (short apartment complex) where we live is sooo quiet but there are tons of people living here!!! How do they do that?! I still wonder. For a week straight our kids screamed in the middle of the night trying to get over jetlag, our apartment echoing like crazy because it's all wood and tile floor and we have no furnitures... that is only the beginning of our adventures... we need to talk and make each other feel better ;)